Motor Boat Registration

Recreational boats with  a motor of 4 hp or more and personal water craft must be registered.

  • Complete a registration form available from MAST or Service Tasmania.
  • A registration fee will apply
  • A certificate of boat registration and label will be sent by mail
  • Registration renewals are mailed in November each year
  • The registration label is to be placed so that it is visible from outside the vessel
  • On successful application, MAST will issue a unique registration number.  Registration numbers must be 150 mm high and displayed on each side of the vessel
  • A personalised registration number may be issued on application.  MAST may refuse to assign a personalised registration number if in the opinion of MAST that the number is identical or similar to a number that has already been issued, may be mistaken for another registration number, is offensive or otherwise inappropriate for display or is prohibited under any Act
  • A capacity label will also need to be displayed
  • You can check the validity of your registration through Online Services


Tenders not exceeding 4.5 metres and used within a distance of 0.5 nautical miles of the larger vessel need only carry the registration number of the larger vessel.

If your vessel carries valid registration from another state it does not require Tasmanian registration unless you are settling permanently in Tasmania.

Vessels carrying Australian Ship Registration with AMSA must also be registered with MAST.

  • A Transfer of Ownership of Motor Boat/Mooring form must be completed and signed by both the vendor and the purchaser.
  • The form must then be posted to MAST or taken to Service Tasmania with the transfer fee within seven (7) days.
  • Both parties are required to notify MAST. Failure to do so within seven (7) days will result in a fine of 1 penalty unit ($172.00).
  • Forms are available from MAST or Service Tasmania
  • You can notify MAST online that you have sold or disposed of your boat.  See Notice of Disposal of a Motor BoatTo complete the notice of disposal online, you will require the vessel registration number and the following information for both the seller and buyer. Seller information should be entered as printed on your Certificate of Registration:
    • Full Name
    • Address
    • Date of Birth
    • Mobile Phone
    • Email Address

When you complete the form, you will need a mobile phone to receive a verification code. A valid email address is required to send you notification of successful lodgement.

If the vessel is registered to multiple owners, or registered to a company or trust etc, you cannot lodge a notice of disposal online. Please use the paper form found here.


  • Vessels that you bareboat charter or pay to board as a passenger must be in commercial survey.
  • Motor boat registration is for recreational purposes only.
  • Contact AMSA for details on how to place a vessel in commercial survey