Motor Boat Licences

A motor boat licence is required to operate a vessel 4hp or more (except for a hire and drive vessel).


  • Motor Boat Licences can only be obtained by completing a BoatSafe Practical Course.  A list of approved Accredited Providers is shown below.
  • Fees apply
  • The motor boat licence is valid for a three year period (pro rata). Licences all have a common expiry date.  It is not a requirement to carry your licence when on the water in Tasmania but MAST by-laws stipulate that, if requested, the licence must be produced within 14 days.
  • Plastic licence cards are no longer automatically issued.  A plastic card can be obtained by emailing
  • MAST has been advised by a number of hire companies both overseas and in Australia that producing a plastic licence card is not necessary when hiring a vessel.
  • A motor boat licence is for recreational boating only. You will need a Certificate of Competency to operate a vessel commercially.
  • You can check the validity of your licence under Online Services
  • It is recommended you obtain and study the MAST Safe Boating Handbook prior to undertaking the licence test. The handbook is available to download from this website. Alternatively, you can obtain a copy from your local Service Tasmania shop or from the MAST Office. Cost is $5.00
  • An online practice test is available on the MAST website.  The test comprises 25 randomly selected questions from a pool of 190 questions.   This test is an opportunity for those about to undertake their Licence training to check their knowledge of the boating rules, safety equipment requirements and fundamental collision avoidance rules.

All answers are available in the MAST Safe Boating Handbook








AddressPhone /
Area Covered
BoatbizFred van 144 722
Hobart / Southern Tasmania
Derwent Sailing SquadronAbbalena WhalanMSTTV011
(03) 6223 1977Hobart
Bay of Fires DivePeter PaulsenMSTTV0330419 372 342St Helens
Boat TrainAndrew
MSTTV0180427 242 129Northern Suburbs of Hobart
David ArnottMSTTV015368 Arthur Highway
Sorell TAS
0419 525 193South East Tasmania
Tamar Sea Rescue Services (Tamar)MSTTV017(03) 63834701Beauty Point
Royal Yacht Club of TasmaniaMichael VincentMSTTV032 6223 4599
Tamar Yacht ClubMSTTV0207 Park Street
Launceston TAS 7250
(03) 6331 8013
9am-3pm Tue-Fri
Boat Licences TasmaniaColin StokesMSTTV0190499 310 857North West Tasmania
Wynyard Yacht Club IncChris SymondsMSTTV0412A Old Bass Highway
Wynyard TAS 7325
0459 108 066
North West Coast
Freycinet Volunteer Marine RescueCol BarneyMSTTV028www.freycinetvmr.com0400 329 973East Coast
King Island Boat ClubMatthew ArcherMSTTV0240499 806 243King Island
Lindisfarne Bay Boat YardMalcolm

0408 123 805Southern Tasmania
Surf Life Saving Tasmania (SLST also conduct Personal Water Craft tuition)Leanne 6222 6555
0447 287 847

A Provisional Licence is available for children aged between 12 and 17 years of age.

The Provisional Licence is gained the same way as a full licence.

The following restrictions apply to provisional licence holders:

  • must be accompanied by a responsible adult
  • must not take charge of a motor boat at night
  • must not at any time exceed a speed of 20 knots
  • must not tow a skier
  • To apply for a PWC endorsement, you are required to hold a current motor boat licence.
  • The PWC endorsement is obtained by completing a PWC Practical Course with Surf Life Saving Tasmania
  • See PWC  section for further information
  • PWC Endorsement fees apply

Hire and drive vessels that do not exceed 8 knots can be operated without a boat licence provided adequate training to operate the boat safely is received.
All hire and drive vessels should carry a hire and drive certificate.

MAST will recognise the following to operate and issue a motor boat licence:

  • A current licence issued in another state. (This must be transferred to a Tasmanian Motor Boat Licence if a resident of Tasmania)
  • A valid and applicable Certificate of Competency
  • Other qualifications may be assessed on a case by case basis.