A motor boat licence is required to operate a vessel 4hp or more (except for a hire and drive vessel).
- Motor Boat Licences can only be obtained by completing a BoatSafe Practical Course. A list of approved Accredited Providers is shown below.
- Fees apply
- The motor boat licence is valid for a three year period (pro rata). Licences all have a common expiry date. It is not a requirement to carry your licence when on the water in Tasmania but MAST by-laws stipulate that, if requested, the licence must be produced within 14 days.
- Plastic licence cards are no longer automatically issued. A plastic card can be obtained by emailing email@example.com at a cost of $7.90.
- MAST has been advised by a number of hire companies both overseas and in Australia that producing a plastic licence card is not necessary when hiring a vessel.
- A motor boat licence is for recreational boating only. You will need a Certificate of Competency to operate a vessel commercially.
- It is recommended you obtain and study the MAST Safe Boating Handbook prior to undertaking the licence test. The handbook is available to download from this website. Alternatively, you can obtain a copy from your local Service Tasmania shop or from the MAST Office. Cost is $5.00
|Address||Phone / ||Area Covered|
|Boatbiz||Fred van Tuil||MSTTV014||www.boatbiz-tas.com.au||0419 144 722|
|Hobart / Southern Tasmania|
|Derwent Sailing Squadron||Abbalena Whalan||MSTTV011||http://dssinc.org.au/|
|(03) 6223 1977||Hobart|
|Bay of Fires Dive||Peter Paulsen||MSTTV033||0419 372 342||St Helens|
|Boat Train||Andrew |
|MSTTV018||0427 242 129||Northern Suburbs of Hobart|
|David Arnott||MSTTV015||368 Arthur Highway|
|0419 525 193||South East Tasmania|
|Tamar Sea Rescue Services (Tamar)||MSTTV017||(03) 63834701||Beauty Point|
|Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania||Michael Vincent||MSTTV032||http://www.ryct.org.au/||(03) 6223 4599|
|Tamar Yacht Club||MSTTV020||7 Park Street|
Launceston TAS 7250
|(03) 6331 8013 |
|Boat Licences Tasmania||Colin Stokes||MSTTV019||0499 310 857||North West Tasmania|
|Lindisfarne Bay Boat Yard||Malcolm McDougall||MSTTV025||0408 123 805||Hobart|
|Wynyard Yacht Club Inc||Chris Symonds||MSTTV041||2A Old Bass Highway|
Wynyard TAS 7325
|0459 108 066|
|North West Coast|
|Freycinet Volunteer Marine Rescue||Col Barney||MSTTV028||www.freycinetvmr.com||0400 329 973||East Coast|
|King Island Boat Club||Matthew Archer||MSTTV024||0499 806 243||King Island|
|Flinders Island Dive||Mike Nichols||MSTTV023||22 Wireless Station |
Rd, EMITA TAS 7255
|0428 598 529||Flinders Island|
|Surf Life Saving Tasmania (SLST also conduct Personal Water Craft tuition)||Leanne Johannesen||MSTTVV01||www.slst.asn.au/||(03) 6222 6555|
0447 287 847
A Provisional Licence is available for children aged between 12 and 17 years of age.
The Provisional Licence is gained the same way as a full licence.
The following restrictions apply to provisional licence holders:
- must be accompanied by a responsible adult
- must not take charge of a motor boat at night
- must not at any time exceed a speed of 20 knots
- must not tow a skier
Hire and drive vessels that do not exceed 8 knots can be operated without a boat licence provided adequate training to operate the boat safely is received.
All hire and drive vessels should carry a hire and drive certificate.
MAST will recognise the following to operate and issue a motor boat licence:
- A current licence issued in another state. (This must be transferred to a Tasmanian Motor Boat Licence if a resident of Tasmania)
- A valid and applicable Certificate of Competency
- Other qualifications may be assessed on a case by case basis.