Moorings – Changes to By-laws

Marine and Safety Tasmania has recently made some changes to the Marine and Safety (Moorings) By-laws to improve mooring management.

Changes include –

  • Requirements for permit holders to notify MAST if the primary vessel on the mooring changes
  • The permit holder must advise MAST of the contact details of the owner of the vessel on the mooring if this differs to the mooring permit holder
  • Management of large-scale repairs and restoration works for vessels on moorings
  • Ability for MAST to request proof the mooring has been “Lifted and Inspected”
  • Requirement to notify MAST if leasing a mooring for more than 30 days
  • Increased powers for MAST to remove a vessel from a mooring if it considers that the vessel poses a risk to safe navigation and to other vessels in the vicinity, or it has the potential to sink and create an environmental hazard.

Notification of Change in Primary Vessel Details

Permit holders will be required to notify MAST when the vessel specified in the mooring permit is changing to a different vessel. This is to ensure that MAST has current up-to-date information.

Some mooring permits have outdated vessel details listed. If you have a vessel on your mooring, it is important that your permit reflects the current moored vessels details. If you do not have a vessel attached to your mooring, please notify MAST so we can remove any outdated vessel details.

In addition, if your vessel has permanent dinghy davits, bowsprit or other appendage that increases the Length Overall of the vessel, please ensure this still fits within the scope of your maximin permissible length. If the appendage extends longer than the maximum permissible length, please complete the “Confirmation of Details Form” that has recently been posted to you. This document shows the information MAST currently has, with blank spaces indicating the missing details. If your mooring permit details are out of date, please complete the form and lodge using the options provided.

Please review your mooring permit to ensure all the fields are filled in. If there is missing information on your permit, please email [email protected] or contact 6235 8820.

Recording Vessel Owner Details:

If you own a mooring but do not own a vessel, you may choose to lease your mooring to a third party. If you plan to lease your mooring to a third party for in excess of 30 days at a time you must supply MAST with –

  • Name of the vessel
  • Registration number for the vessel if applicable
  • Length, Beam and Draft for the vessel
  • The contact details for the owner

If you lease your mooring out short term, you will still be able to do this. Mooring permit holders will be allowed to lease their moorings for up to 30 days, before MAST requires notification that the mooring details have changed.

You can lodge a change in vessel details online at or lodge the applicable form at any branch of Service Tasmania.

Variation of a Permit

MAST may vary any mooring permit. This variation may be made on MAST’s own initiative, or on an application made by the permit holder. Some examples where MAST may vary a permit include –

  • The mooring may be interfering with a fairway or channel
  • The mooring is impacting on surrounding moorings and vessels
  • The mooring is impacted by approved construction works and cannot remain at its appointed place

MAST will only vary a permit to improve the safety of other moored vessels or to improve navigation. MAST will notify you in writing of the proposed variation and allocate a time frame for the variation to take effect.

A permit holder may apply to MAST to vary a permit for reasons including –

  • Altering the mooring’s position from the MAST allocated site
  • The vessel specified in your permit is not the primary vessel or is changing to a different vessel
  • Altering the Maximum Permissible Length stated on the permit.

In order to apply to vary the mooring permit, you must lodge the Variation Form located on the MAST website or available at Service Tasmania. There is a fee applicable with applying to alter the Maximum Permissible Length and Altering the moorings location.

Revocation of Permit

MAST may consider revoking a mooring permit.

Where –  

  • The permit holder is not complying with a condition that may be listed on the permit
  • For failing to comply with a direction of an authorised person
  • The permit holder fails to make repairs to the mooring as specified or provide maintenance records
  • MAST considers that the mooring poses a risk to safe navigation
  • The mooring is transferred to another person, and that person fails to transfer the mooring within 14 days.

MAST will allow a permit holder a reasonable time to make good any issues that have been identified. If MAST revokes the permit, the permit holder must remove the mooring device within 14 days. If the device is not removed, MAST may remove the mooring device from the water. This may be at the permit holders cost.

Repair and Maintenance of vessels on mooring

Permit holders may undertake minor works, such as –

  • Sanding;
  • Painting;
  • General minor maintenance works.

MAST wishes to encourage boat owners to continue to maintain their boats in an acceptable and timely fashion. Major works are not encouraged on a mooring.

If you are planning to undertake a major project on your moored vessel, please contact MAST to discuss what may or may not be allowed.

Maintenance and Inspection of Mooring

Permit Holders must ensure that the mooring device is lifted and inspected at least once every two years. Maintenance is a critical step in owning a mooring and ensuring it is up to the task of safely holding a vessel. When a vessel breaks free from a mooring it can collide with and damage other vessels, affect the environment and potentially create a navigation hazard. 

MAST regularly audits moorings. Prior to the audit commencing, MAST writes to permit holders outlining a list of responsibilities that need to be complied with. One of the main responsibilities will be ensuring the mooring has been lifted and inspected within the last two years.

If the mooring appears to be in poor condition e.g. sinking, covered in growth, worn shackles, chains etc., MAST will write to you requesting proof the mooring has been maintained in accordance with the by-laws. This proof will need to be supplied by way of tax invoice from a contractor or a statutory declaration if you carried out the works yourself.

If you do not supply the requested proof to MAST within the allotted time frame, you may be issued with an infringement notice or the mooring permit can be revoked.