Commercial Vessels in Tasmanian Waters

MAST is responsible for waterways management matters such as the provision of navigation aids, VHF radio services, facilities and ports and pilotage.

In accordance with the Marine and Safety (General) Regulations 2013,  the owner of a Domestic Commercial Vessel (DCV) operating in Tasmanian coastal waters contributes to the cost of providing these services through the payment of the Annual Infrastructure Administration fee.

The owner of a DCV that has not previously operated in Tasmanian coastal waters must notify MAST of the intended home port of the vessel.

Certificate of Competency holders wishing to operate a registered recreational vessel in Tasmanian waters require a Recreational Motor Boat Licence Certificate of Competency holders will not be required to undertake the practical boat licence course, but payment of the triennial Recreational Motor Boat Licence fee is required. A Recognition of Interstate Motor Boat Licence / Certificate of Competency Application Form will need to be submitted to MAST.

Domestic Commercial Vessels (DCVs) are regulated by Commonwealth Legislation – the Marine Safety (Domestic Commercial Vessel) National Law Act 2012 (the National Law) and State based legislation.

The National Law regulates vessel construction and operation plus seafarer qualifications. It also establishes Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) as the National Regulator for commercial vessel safety.

Information on certification for vessels and seafarers under the National Law can be accessed through the AMSA website or by calling AMSA Connect 1800 627 484 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm).